Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oh Idaho!


Daniel and I paired up with John and Brock (Cultivator of the rare but badass handlebar mustache/mullet combination!) to climb in the Sawtooths, a land of glorious granite. The approach to the Elephant's Perch, our first destination, was not difficult.
Taking the boat leaves only about 2 miles of easy hiking on wilderness trails.
John and Daniel setting up the tents.

The Elephants perch. Our route, The Mountaineer's Route, goes up and to the left of the light colored diamond formation to the top.

Climbing

At the top!

Climbing boys will be climbing boys. A really fun day!

The next day was much different since the first. I had been feeling sick for the past month, just bad enough to feel bad, but not bad enough to totally take myself out of the game. I wasn't so sure I wanted to go, but succumbed to peer pressure and here I was. The first day I really developed my deep, lung-expelling cough but the next day was even worse. We had decided to do a classic peak called Warbonnet. While we knew the aproach was long, I think it might be agreed that it was epic. tent to tent the hike and climb took us a total of 15 hours. During this time I felt sooooo bad, coughing up green chunks, etc...The body wasn't agreeable to being close to 10,000 feet in it's state. Thanks for all the support and patience guys! Here's a brief synopsis.
After hiking up to the first lake from our camp, the first big pass we had to hike up to is through that snow field on the left

Then over and down to very last lake you can see (hint: you have to squint your eyes to see it, it's at the end of the bowl), traveling on the left.
Oh wait, we're not even really that close yet. Once at the lakes, our next destination is the peak on the farthest left of the pic (by the tall trees).

There she blows....but check out the hike to get up to the climb...
Primarily on this....

If I was 100% I would definitely say the climb was worth it though. Check out those views!

And the rappell

But then you have to go back....bummer!
We'll be back when I'm in a full state of health, the sawtooths are worth it, even when you don't feel well! Thanks for a good trip guys!

1 comment:

John said...

That tent photo is classic :)

Good times in Idaho!